Real-time Patient Flow
The ability of a healthcare system to move patients safely, effectively and with minimal delays through stages of care has been demonstrated to have benefited the patient, staff and the overall efficiency of hospitals. NHS Improvements’ evidence-based Good Practice Guide “Focus on improving patient flow” (July 2017) states that in hospitals where patient flow improvement guidelines are implemented effectively by well-led teams using effective improvement techniques then hospital crowding reduces, Emergency departments (EDs) decongest, mortality falls, harm is reduced and staff feel less pressured.
IT solutions have a role to play in improving patient flow by presenting real-time information in a meaningful manner to all stakeholders. The variety of stakeholders involved, and their need for different presentations of the same information is recognised by NHS Improvements, NHS Digital and NHS England. That role is reflected in NHSI’s statement that “Flow is a team sport” across the wider health and social care system, and programs to encourage the deployment of patient flow solutions both within acute trusts and more broadly across regional health and social care systems.
Nervecentre Software has worked with our NHS customers to develop Trust-wide solutions to improve patient flow from arrival at ED through to discharge, from the ward through to the Operational Command centre and an implementation approach to deliver patient flow benefit.
Our mobile-enabled solutions:
• provide real-time data updated and viewed at the patient’s bedside, and available anywhere across the Trust
• Integrate bed management and clinical data- driving system adoption, providing clinical context and enabling both high-level and detailed views of the operation of patient pathways
• deliver Operational Command and Control systems and visualisation of complex environments to deliver meaningful information tailored to the user’s context, enabling system bottlenecks to be quickly identified and better, quicker escalation decisions to be made
• automate standard clinical pathways and reduce delays through electronic referrals and tasks, and ensure the appropriate sign-posting and resourcing for high-risk patients through automated risk assessments on admission
• are developing to provide more efficient, safer patient transfers across the regional care system
The range of implementation support tools produced by Nervecentre recognises that patient flow programmes are about business change supported by technology. Based on our experience with patient flow customers, they are provided to help acute hospital Trusts plan and implement the implementation of Nervecentre patient flow solutions to drive improvements in patient flow.
Nervecentre Real-Time Patient Flow Solutions
Nervecentre’s real-time patient flow applications can be delivered stand-alone as new implementations, or as an extension to existing Nervecentre patient safety systems. While each can be introduced piecemeal, the positive, cumulative effect has the greatest impact on adoption and impact: